Wednesday 8 December 2010

Balenciaga, the spanish master...

Cristobel Balenciaga, a true genius.  I was lucky enough to be visiting New York when there was an exhibition of his finest dresses in Queen Sofia Spanish Institute on Park Avenue.  It was like walking through a dream world... much like when you walk through the hand bags section in Barney's, except it's not the smell of leather that's intoxicating, it's the sound of silence.  I mean, eery silence.  The building was filled with fashion lovers all quietly gazing in awe of this master.  
The dresses were all fabulous, needless to say.  Some were maybe a tad too out there for my taste but the majority of them, well I would have given a body part just to be able to try one on.  As you walked through the exhibition, you could feel the sense of respect and adoration that Balenciaga's designs were receiving.  Quite frankly, I loved it. 
I decided to take a little piece of the magic home with me in the form of the Balenciaga hardback they had on sale: 
Honestly, it was worth the $45 it cost me. It has photographs of all the dresses that were in the exhibition and more! And pages upon pages of text discussing Balenciaga's inspirations and ideas and his background.  I love it.


Not to mention, just handling the book itself gives me a sense of happiness :) Mock if you will, but I adore Balenciaga. Recently, it's all about his bags and I'm hilariously lucky to have a mother who owns one... which I regularly steal. But back then, it was all about the gorgeous dresses!




Here's a few of my favourite pages from the book:


 



This one was my absolute favourite dress from the whole exhibition. I think it's absolutely amazing.  It's my birthday coming up, so if anyone's stuck for what to get me? ;)

Pour maintenant, au revoir.
Tout Mon Amour,
Neen x
  

No comments:

Post a Comment