Tuesday 16 November 2010

Baby, you can drive my car and baby I love you...

I've been wanting this song by The Beatles for years but never wanted to fork out for an album just to get it... So you can imagine my excitement when it's announced that itunes now stock everything The Beatles ever recorded. Anyway, that's just my good news for the day.

I wanted to write in reference to the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" as one famous high-street shop has shown that this is categorically untrue.  I've worn clothes bought from 'Next' since I was little girl.  My mum has always been a faithful shopper at this well known store and therefore I ended up following suit.  However, when I reached my mid-teenage years (16, 17, 18), I felt that no longer could shop in the children's clothes (even though I can still fit into them now and regularly borrow my 12 year old cousin's purchases) and the womenswear just, well, disappointed.  Always in a 'Next' store, there's half the shop for day wear and then another half for office and night wear.  But all of it quite frankly bored me. It was just a mix of cotton, hooded cardigans, the same pair of jeans renamed 5 times over as different styles and various coloured vest tops with a pointless picture of a bow or something on it.  Nevertheless, this is a toasting not a roasting so I'll get to the point.

'Next' has finally got with the times and gone a bit more glam.  I think for me, the revolution became apparent when this advert came out:


I went into 'Next' yesterday and bought a gorgeous granddad cardigan, a flowing, chiffon blouse and a sterling silver necklace with the word 'LOVE' on the end of the chain.  I was not only pleased with the extremely affordable price compared to my all time favourite Topshop or my guilty pleasure Urban Outfitters, but I was genuinely surprised that I even found something I liked.  I've been browsing the website, which has also had a swish make-over and I'm literally finding pages upon pages of items that I want to buy. And when I went into the store in the Coliseum, I particularly loved the range of costume rings they had available.  So not what you would expect from 'Next' but a lovely surprise, they were very boho, very indie, very now. 


Overall, 'Next' has totally impressed me over the past week.  I urge all of you to get your 'tired of the same old high-street shops and in need of something new and exciting' arses down to your nearest 'Next' retailer.   You won't be disappointed...


Pour maintenant, au revoir.
Tout mon amour,


Neen x

No comments:

Post a Comment