Tuesday 23 November 2010

La Douleur Exquise

The exquisite pain is 'shopping' in Harvey Nichols, Knightsbridge and not being allowed to buy anything. 




So last Saturday I attended a personal shopping workshop with 'Style Aware' in London. I didn't really know what to expect but I dragged myself out of bed at 6.30AM to get the 8AM train to London Euston- and I don't do early mornings. (And I didn't get chance to have breakfast which is bad because I literally don't function properly without a bowl of cereal inside me!) The mother and the nan accompanied me, but of course they got to go shopping in Harrods and Harvey Nichols and peruse the glorious stores on Sloane Street such as Jimmy Choo, Dolce & Gabbana and TODS
I, however had a workshop to attend. To be honest, it was great fun. The first 2 hours were spent listening to Faye Marriott, the personal shopper and taking notes on all her worldly wisdom (despite her only being 27?). Don't get me wrong, the girl knew her stuff, but I had been expecting an eccentric Vivienne Westwood type, late 40's/early 50's, who had been around the fashion industry long enough to know a thing or twenty about clothes. But hey, one shalt not judge. The afternoon was spent taking on roles of either a client or a shopper.  The 3 other girls (well, women as I was the only one under 25) and myself had to shop for each other depending on a particular brief we were given.  I must say, I wasn't impressed that when I was the client we were shopping in Zara but when I was the shopper we were in Harvey Nics.  I truly could've cried when I realised I wouldn't be trying on any Balenciaga dresses paired with a pair of stiletto Choos. 
All in all, I would rate the day an 8 out of 10. If I'd known what to expect would I have done it again? Yes, probably.  Faye did give me some really interesting insight into what it takes to set up your own business, how to make yourself accessible to every sector of the market and an extremely innovative way of measuring clients using ribbon.  
On the other hand, would I have rather been trawling the shops with my mum? Definitely.


Have a look yourself:
http://www.styleaware.co.uk/


Pour Maintenant, Au Revoir.
Tout Mon Amour,


Neen X  


PS. The next day I attended the races to watch my dad's horse WIN again :) Ladies, TWEED is making a comeback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment