Thursday 13 January 2011

Fashion's Biggest Crime?

As per, the new year has brought resolutions aplenty by all my friends vowing to drop a dress size, get that bikini body or just change their eating habits all together for a more healthy lifestyle. My Facebook is literally inundated with statuses broadcasting how much weight has been lost or how much exercise they've done that day... I have to admit, it's making me feel pretty self-conscious. I don't think I'm fat, I may say it from time to time when I'm stressing but I know I'm a healthy body shape. However, I definitely eat far too much of the bad stuff. Well, in my opinion the good stuff... but you know what I mean.

My question is, how much of a role does the fashion industry play in body anxiety?

I know every article you ever read on the subject blames the media.  Magazines depicting gorgeous, slim women set targets for young girls that we feel like we have to reach and maintain.  I'm not sure if I agree though, I mean I don't think the media is completely to blame... and even if they are, what is so wrong with aspiring to be thin?  In our country, we now have the first generation of teenagers that could die before their parents due to their weight... so why are we condemning people who make an effort to stay thin? I'm not talking about anorexic girls... that's a whole different story. But those people who are size 8/10/12 even 14 is a healthy size and who make the effort to exercise regularly and eat fruit and veg, they should be rewarded not made to feel like they've done something wrong.  I commend all of you out there who make a conscious effort to maintain your figures and exercise.  I wish I had the will power to eat healthily... I really am going to try though.  I think everyone should.  New year, new you and all that... Come on girls, we can do it together! :)  I'll keep you updated on how I'm doing and I'd love for you all to let me know how you are all doing!

Pour Maintenant, Au revoir.
Tout Mon Amour,
Neen x

1 comment:

  1. to some extent I believe your on to something, I believe that we have had a vital contribution to the way we see the female figure in society. If a magazine was to start showcasing healthier sized models... would we point fingers? Perhaps. I also believe that in this day and age, people have got in the habit of yo-yo dieting, the very fact that alot of people's NY resolution is to drop that dress size shows just how resonated yo-yo dieting in our society is. Drop ur Christmas feast.... Slim for summer. Healthy is gaining understanding your body, what is good and bad for it... everything in moderation even the dieting. x

    ReplyDelete