Sunday 23 January 2011

what NOT to wear...

Trinny and Susannah may have been onto something to be honest.  I went into Revolution (the bar) in Liverpool for the first time in ages on Friday night and I have to admit that I wasn't impressed with the fashionistas.  Liverpool has always been a city for which people associate fashion with, or so I'd like to think.  We've got the Cavern Walks shopping centre where the likes of Coleen Rooney, Alex Gerrard and even Cheryl Cole (rumour probably) can be found perusing Cricket or Vivienne Westwood... and then there's the high street stores for those of us who don't have the will power to save up for one designer piece when we can have 20 pieces from Topshop!  My point is that I was let down.  I saw one girl wearing a polo shirt style dress that really reminded me of  the 'Donnay' sports dresses my friends and I wore to school in the summer when we were 11.  Another fashion disaster was a girl wearing high-waisted shorts with a stripy blue and white vest top paired with silver slingback sandals that would have gone better with a prom dress... I must admit that those shoes are a pet hate of mine anyway.  But she had also matched her bag to her shoes which I feel can sometimes be a bad idea. 
Admittedly, if you're wearing an LBD (little black dress) and you throw on some statement red heels with a red bag to match... well that's simple and effective.  But the posh prom shoes and sparkly bag looked completely out of place with her denim hot pants and sailor themed top.  I think people sometimes find it easier if you tell them what NOT to wear, rather than what to wear.  For instance, without naming names, I have 1 friend who I think dresses perfectly for her figure and style.  She has real individual flair and never fails to look effortlessly gorgeous... my mum made a point that an eye for fashion may well be one of those things that you've either got or you haven't. In that case, this friend definitely has got a knack for it.  However,  I have another friend whose wardrobe full of clothes thrills me every time I go round.  I love her style, it's very thrown together, very grunge yet feminine without being girly though... the problem is she has maaaasive boobs.  She tries to hide them by wearing things that just end up making them looks ten times bigger anyway when really she should be embracing the fact that she has a cleavage- god knows I'd kill for one!  So I do think that being told what to steer clear of is much simpler than having a rule book of what you're allowed to buy... 

Having said all of the above, there was one girl in Revs whose outfit I really wanted to steal.  She had dark blue skinnies on, a plain top that I didn't really take much notice of, and a jacket... oh the jacket.  It was a camel coloured blazer with leather pads on the elbows and it was ever so slightly cropped... I was in love.  And not to mention the heels, huge platformed red ones with a multitude of straps and they were just to die for.  I've been desperately trying to find a picture of either the jacket or the heels online, but alas no luck.

But, I can offer you this little catwalk video of my outfit I had on that night:


     
I went pretty casual, but I'm literally in love with this jumper I have on.  I bought it from Reiss in the sale and it's so soft and it fits so well :)

Anyway, I best be off. I am very tired and I need to get up early tomorrow!

Pour Maintenant, Au Revoir.
Tout Mon Amour,
Neen X

No comments:

Post a Comment