Saturday 15 January 2011

Vogue, strike a pose.

"Sometimes, when I was really broke, I'd buy vogue instead of food. I just felt it fed me more"
- Carrie Bradshaw

Words can't describe how much I agree with this quote.  As much as people who know me will find this hard to believe, I'd even prefer to buy the most recent issue of vogue than clothes.  I literally can't get enough of it...
So you can imagine my happiness when the best friend's belated Christmas present to me arrived and it was the Vogue Covers hardback which I've been staring at longingly in shop windows for the past few months.  It's amazing, I just love looking at all the covers.  Models intrigue me, I don't really have that thing where they make me feel bad about myself.  I'm more of an admirer.  I accept I'll never look like them, so I just allow myself to admire their beauty and that mysterious, distant look they all have in their eyes.

So I've been trawling through it desperately trying to pick my favourite covers from the vast selection so that you can all get a feel for how amazing it really is.  I narrowed it down to a shortlist, but I know when I've posted this I'll find another one that I adore.  So I'd probably expect quite a few blogs about this one readers...

Okay, so this one is a bit of a given.  This, according to my book, was the first vogue cover to feature an actual person.  So it was inevitable that it would make the favourites list... I mean the previous covers were interesting and some of them were so arty and thought provoking... but vogue wouldn't be vogue without all the gorgeous models or stars on the cover.







Now, I also have to admit that this one is a bit of a cheat too.  But after seeing Brit Eckland on I'm a Celebrity last year, I was intrigued to see what she looked like when she was younger. And WOW.  This photo of her on the June 1966 issue is simply stunning.  I have a particular love for the hair too.  She's just amazing.  Those eyes... god, if anyone could make me wish to look different it's her.










So Kate Moss and Vogue go hand in hand really.  As far as I can tell, she's the most featured model in Vogue.  But this one is  my favourite.  This is her first ever Vogue cover before she was famous... she looks so innocent and young!  It's photographs like this that make you realise just how naturally beautiful she is.  I'd kill for her bone structure, I really would.






And lastly, but certainly not least.  The people's princess herself.  This Vogue cover featuring Diana was to mark her death in 1997.  I have to admit, I'm not one of those avid Diana fans, but I did like her. And I certainly admired her elegance and beauty.  The reason I love this cover though is for the simplicity. A really casual photo, she looks really natural... and there's no headlines of what features in the magazine that month.  The sole focus of the cover is her and that lovely, effortless smile.

So my final point... anyone who loves fashion, I urge you to buy this book.  It really is a gem.
A million thank-yous to my best friend for buying it for me :) <3 you.

Pour Maintenant, Au Revoir.
Tout Mon Amour,
Neen X





No comments:

Post a Comment